Potted Tulips

empressjenf(6b PA)April 10, 2013

My mom's boyfriend gave her potted tulips for Easter. Because I have a cat who is a trouble maker and an older kitten still in training, the tulips have to stay in the basement. I told my mom I will plant them in the garden when we know the cold weather is done for the year. However, everything I've read says to wait until after the flowers die before planting.

My question is how soon can I plant these? We don't get to enjoy them unless one of us is doing laundry or I am getting gardening supplies out of the basement. I can't set them on the front porch since there are a few neighbor kids who I'm sure would take them home as a gift to their mother. The tulips don't get much sun in the basement, if any, and it is fairly damp down there. The temperature is supposed to drop Thursday night/Friday morning, then go back up to normal spring temperatures. If I can, I'd like to plant the tulips this weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

No reason not to plunge the entire mass into the ground and give a good soak ASAP.

They may or may not flower next year. Only certain groups of tulips are reliable naturalizers. I have had a dbl. lavender for at least 6 yrs. that will bloom every odd year or so.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freki(5a)

In zone 6 a lot more tulips are reliable than zone 9.

1) let the plants die down naturally (outside is fine)
2) remove the bulbs from the pot and *store them* in a paper bag.
3) plant the bulbs in late fall/early winter.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™