Looking for Daffodil Recommendations

karen715(z5 IL)April 18, 2009

I have some daffodils on my property that I love, but since I didn't plant them, I have no idea of the variety. I would really like to be able to purchase more like them--they don't have to be the exact same variety, just similar.

These daffs are blooming now in my Zone 5 garden. They are about 15-16 inches tall, from the ground to the top of the flower. They have the classic daffodil shape, with the petals and trumpet of about equal length. They are a clear bright yellow and the trumpets face upwards. The two most important criteria for me are the color and the orientation: I prefer them not to have too much of an orange tinge, and I really dislike daffodils that nod too much. (I used to have some that looked downright embarrassed to be blooming.) The least important factor is the height; I don't mind if they are taller.

Can anyone suggest varieties I should look for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

What you could do is go to Brent and Becky's Bulbs website and use their Search feature to look through their yellow daffs, and purchase a few varieties that look good to you.

Dutch Master or King Alfred might appeal to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: B&B search

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen715(z5 IL)

Thanks. I do have a Brent and Becky's paper catalog. In fact, that is what inspired me to ask here. I can tell from the photos and descriptions what daffs have the right color, shape and height, but there isn't enough info on most of them about the orientation of the flowers.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™