Tulips that don't flower

moxiecolaApril 13, 2009

I planted tulips in '04. They flowered that year and have not flowered since. The green leaves arrive but no flower. What is going on? The same thing has happened with every grape hycinth I have planted in my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Tulip foliage needs to brown and wither naturally. If cut off, the bulbs cannot replenish their needs...they will starve. Grape hyacinth's foliage comes up in the fall and is semi evergreen through the winter, it must not be cut to the ground.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 9:39PM
PRO
Propaganda Garden Design

In many hot summer rainy climates most tulips are best treated as an annual and dug up after they bloom and replaced every year. Now and then you get some exceptional ones that perennialize but if you are just getting leaves your best bet is to just dig them up and toss them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 2:18AM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Ditto on what Clem said. Most tulips don't flower after the first year in hot weather and or rainy climates.

Pink Impression tulips have been coming back in my garden for 5 years. Also try the Red and Yellow Oxfords and Negrita. I've heard that Emperor, Triumph and Darwin tulips are more likely to come back, but results have been spotty in my garden. I planted some Emperor tulips for the first time last fall, I'll report back if they return next year.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™