Bulb questions:

loneranger_growApril 15, 2013

I know this is a basic question, that I should know the answer to. Just a short answer would be appreciated.I have some daffodils in a pot that are dormant. I have read is best to plant bulbs in fall, what should I do to/with , them in the mean time? Also,,if you buy bulbs like tulips, in the spring, should you just keep them cool and dark until fall? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Daffodils. Assuming the bulbs were in the pot and well cared for for a minimum of 8 to 10 weeks after the blooms shattered (preferably until the foliage began to turn brown), remove them from the pot, shake the soil off them. Divide them if you like, or leave the offsets intact, your choice. Lay them on some kind of airy shelf or rack in a cool, dry, dark place (like an unheated basement) in a single layer. Leave them there until time to plant next fall. At some point, the attached leaves will dry down enough that you can easily pull them away from the bulbs. You can, at that point, put them into onion bags or even store the bulbs in cardboard bins.

This above method is preferred, but if you do not have a place that is suitable for storage, you can go ahead and plant the bulbs now.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™