Tulips: order of bloom time?

linaria_gwApril 17, 2012

Hi there,

I planted about 200 Tulips last fall, mainly T fosterianas and some Darwin hybrids. I planted those in early December, and we got the first frost around Xmas.

Now they are flowering, the fosterianas somewhat earlier, Seetheart is almost spent. The Darwins are in full bloom now, one cultivar opening.

Now I wonder about next season. Can I assume that the fosterianas should flower much earlier than the Darwins? I read somewhere that late planting makes Tulips flower later than usual. I was just surprised that those two groups would flower at the same time.

And I had planned for two sets of Tulips flowering.

Well, just curious, thanks for your experiences, bye, Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I think it's likely you will see the same schedule next year. I believe Darwins descend from fosterianas, so the bloom is only a bit earlier and they will overlap.... You will only get distinct bloom seasons if it's a long drawn out spring. Then the fosterinias will be noticeably earlier. If its a sudden hot spring everything will come into bloom at similar times.

Much later flowering tulips such as parrots, mayflowering and late doubles will do more if you want to extend the season.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:16PM
linaria_gw

Thanks kato
hmm, funny, so I didn't look them up properly. Well, on the other hand, it`s quite a show with them flowering all at once, so not a too bad mistake.

Thanks, I will read up on those tulip groups again,

bye, Lin

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 1:58AM
Campanula UK Z8

feh - they ALL bloomed at the same time, this year (although the weather has been at a peak of all-time weirdness). Having all come early and simultaneously, the temperature dropped and rains have kept the blooms looking fantastic for considerably longer than usual. As a rule, the lily flowered types tend to be later blooming than Darwins or Triumph but latest of all is the fabulous T.sprengeri right at the end of May while the Kaufmannia types are reliably early off the mark in March.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Blue 9 ft. 9
Home Depot
54" Emerson Carrera Grande Eco Gilded Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Mini Square Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Bordeaux Red Crystal an
$300.00 | Bellacor
Remix Office Chair in White
$309.00 | LexMod
SLV Lighting | Rusty Cone 70 Outdoor Bollard
$794.00 | YLighting
Single White Daisy Hand Woven Coir Doormat - 1035S
$39.95 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™