Watermelon Trellis

johnweh(10 Boca Raton FL)February 24, 2011

I'm starting some sugar baby watermelon seeds today. They will be planted in 6 1/2 gal pots with a trellis. How high above the soil should the trellis be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I grew four sugar baby bush watermelons in a 30 gallon wooden half whiskey barrel last summer. I don't know whether sugar baby and sugar baby bush are the same variety. In any case, I used a 3 foot high wooden trellis from Home Depot and fastened it to the sides of wooden barrel to keep it steady. Each plant produced a couple fruits, but I cut off all but the best because even sugar babies need a lot of water and fertilizer and soil to produce well. I used cheese cloth and old panty hose to create slings to hold the fruit on the trellis. They were probably about five pounds each when ripe and needed to be tied to the trellis long before that or the vines would have torn. The trellis was large enough even though the vines were about five feet long. But with the small pot you are using, you would need to secure a really strong trellis outside the pot or your plant will fall over in the wind.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™