Macadamia Nut and Pistachio container trees?

sjpickart(5)February 15, 2012

I am wondering if there is a way to grow a Macadamia Nut tree in a container to the point of it producing, as well as a Pistachio Tree in a container to fruiting. They would permanently remain the the containers due to living in Wisconsin where it is very cold.

Does anybody know of a site where I could buy dwarf varieties of either? I came across some Aussie sites that they are available which indicates that yes- they do exist. However these Aussie sites do not ship to the states. (sigh..) What a tease. Any information from you all is greatly appreciated!! Thanks fellow gardeners!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
red_chucks(5 (Chicago))

I have tried to grow tropical, semi-tropical, and desert trees here in Chicago for 10 years or so with this experience: I can keep almost anything alive, get most things to bloom and set fruit, and get few-to-no nuts/fruit to harvest. Lately I've tried mango, papaya, pomegranate. My olive tree set many fruit last year that didn't make much progress.

You can decide if that is a challenge or a description of futility. Citrus does fine if you want something exotic.

I tried macadamias and pistachios a way back. Got a macadamia seedling or two from eBay; started the pistachios from seed (first seeds I started in the refrigerator as I recall). Squirrels ate them all the first time I put them outside--I was disappointed I hadn't seen that coming. The last few years I've built cages out of hardware cloth for my avocado seedlings; they worked. Now that you posted this note, I may try macadamias again. Me and Charlie Brown running up to the football--always hopeful.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™