digging up daffs

roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)April 25, 2009

I have tons of daffodils that i need to go ahead and dig up for transplanting while the foliage is dying. it will be later in the summer/fall before i get to replant them, i am cleanign out beds before i build new ones! My question is - won't the bulbs be okay if i put them in a box with peat moss out in the barn until i plant them this fall? The barn will keep them from getting wet and rotting while piled up (NOTE, LOTS of daffs!)

And another question - so i don't have to look it up. will they bloom in partial shade? or do i need to plant them in full sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The main consideration is air circulation to prevent the growth of mildew from the moisture. I am assuming you still have green foliage attached to the bulbs which you are allowing to die back naturally. When the foliage is yellowed it can be removed and then I think the dry moss or something similar would be appropriate to pack the bulbs to allow air without dessication of the bulbs. Partial shade may reduce the bloom but would not usually cut it off completely. Al

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:36AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

thank calistoga! I am of course letting the foliage die back, but just planning ahead so i am ready to dig them up. and i have some spots i would like to plant them that will eventually get more sun, when i am "thru" LOL

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:48AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Once the bulbs are dug, they should be spread out to dry (someplace out of the sun) dry for a few days before packing them for summer storage. A cool dry place would be better for summer storage, such as a basement, or crawlspace if it is good and dry.

Shade is fine, as the daffs will be up and blooming before the leaves of deciduous trees leaf out. I grow a lot of daffodils in my front yard woods. Now shade from evergreens or buildings is a different thing.

Sue...chemocurl

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™