can pine bark be a substitute for peat

joewormFebruary 17, 2012

can very fine pine bark be a good substitute for peat?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes. Fafard makes a finely ground, partially composted pine bark product that is uniform in size (their 'aged pine bark fines') and too fine to be suitable as the primary fraction of any soil you're looking to take advantage of for it's superior aeration and drainage. That product would make a good peat substitute.

Al

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 12:17PM
joeworm

thanks Al,

can you give me some idea of the size of fine pine bark that would be suitable as a replacement for peat? i can buy pretty fine bark, most is less than 3/8", in bulk at a far lower price than peat so i'd rather use the bark if it is doable, i can't afford the peat along with the other ingredients.

btw Al, i did make a raised bed using topsoil, pine bark, and compost, based on your recommendations, and that worked out great for the winter crops that i planted.

thanks

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 1:18PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Joe,
In the past, I have kept the fine bark dust that I screened in a separate container.
This bark is basically anything from dust, up to 1/16 of an inch...nearly the same particle size as peat.
I have used it in fern mixes, in particular, when I wanted to increase moisture retention without using
peat. Even at this small size, bark is still more durable than peat. Two thumbs up!

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:21PM
joeworm

thanks Josh,

looks like what i can get will work just fine as a substitute for the peat. now if i could find an inexpensive substitute for vermiculite i'd be all set.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:37AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sure thing, Joe.

So, why are you looking for a vermiculite substitute?
I guess I should have asked what sort of a mix you're putting together.

Josh

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:34AM
joeworm

Josh,
I'm trying different mixes for raised beds and want to make something similar to "Mel's" mix which is 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat, and 1/3 vermiculite. I just can't afford those ingredients so looking for substitutes that are affordable. So far I use compost that I make myself, and the pine fines I can get pretty darn cheap in cubic yard bulk, that leaves a vermiculite substitute.
Thanks

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:46AM
gonebananas_gw

The big box stores sell pine bark of a fairly fine grind as "soil conditioner." It can vary in fineness brand to brand and maybe even batch to batch. All of it is good for making potting or raised bed soil but only the finer grind can stand in for peat. Usually at least one bag at the store has a little tear where you can see and feel the consistency.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™