Jonquill Daffs question

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)April 20, 2009

What happens if I planted my minis too deep last autumn? I bought Baby Boomers and probably planted about 6 to 8 inches deep ( another newbie stupid mistake :( ). Will they bloom next year then? Or will I be forced to dig up in fall? I have lots of leaves but no stems and blooms. Will I get REALLY lucky to see them bloom at all this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Will I get REALLY lucky to see them bloom at all this year?
"Maybe" is the only answer I can come up with. Have you tried parting the foliage in the middle to see if there 'might' be a bud down in there?

I bought Baby Boomers and probably planted about 6 to 8 inches deep ( another newbie stupid mistake :( ). Will they bloom next year then?
There is a good chance that they might not....I see this is a dwarf variety and is either an early or mid season one.
If you get no blooms, just wait until the foliage fades a lot, dig then, store them cool and dry, and then plant in the fall after the ground temperature has started to cool to about 55 degrees.

You 'might' want to plant them a little shallower than suggested. The more shallow they are, the more they will multiply.

I'm sorry you are having bad newbie experiences this spring after all your planning and work last year.

Sue

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Need help germinating some old bulbs w/ pic
I've got these 3 old bulbs that have been sitting in...
bradleyheathhays
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™