wrong tulips coming up x_x

sunandshadowApril 6, 2010

Well, the first few of my tulips bloomed yesterday and today. One of the sets that opened is a very plain white tulip... of which I did not plan any. x_X And it can't be a volunteer or leftover because that bed is new this year, it had only sedum and periwinkle before. So now I guess I have to figure out which of the approximately 20 types of tulips I planted got swapped for these boring things, and try to convince the company to send me replacements for next year. I really hope they weren't the Ice Cream ones, I was particularly looking forward to those and they were the most expensive per bulb. Bad me for not writing down what I planted where though. -_-

The ones I do have accounted for so far are Apricot Impression (noticeably the largest tulips of the whole batch and the first to open), Claudia (except for being too tall these forced the best, as well as being among the first to open outside, they seem very hard although not really useful for breeding because the ovary is sterile), Yellow Crown, Yellow Spider (possibly my favorite), and an orange single which is either Ballerina or Aperitif (the flowers seem extra-fragile, a little wind and rain and they barely look like tulips - going to remove and discard those).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have had multiple bulbs from multiple sources turn out to be different than I purchased. None mail order from reputable companies like Brent & Becky's but all purchased locally in packages. Costco, Wal*Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot. I no longer purchase bulbs in packages or plants that aren't blooming from such sources. Some people might not care what color or cultivar but I do. I guess it is what I get for trying to save a buck. :(

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:39PM
Charlotte Willner

Buyorsell, that happened to me this year as well, only out of the individual bulb bins! I think somebody at the nursery got mixed up while labeling - I've got Banja Luka coming up all over the place instead of Dordogne! (On the plus side: I'd never grown Banja Luka before and it turns out I love it - I'll be ordering from Brent & Becky's this year, though, all the same!)

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 1:48AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I've got red and orange tulips and I don't plant red or orange flowers. Can't remember what they were supposed to be. I keep thinking they'll stop coming up eventually but they are years old....

I've got pale yellow Asiatic lilies that were supposed to be Regale Orientals....gave one batch away too.

It is frustrating.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:00PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Well, I've got a story like this too...

The "red and White" striped Rembrandt-type tulips my teenage daughter bought for me in Amsterdam just started blooming...and they are deep raspberry pink with a white blush! If she asks me (She's off at college) I don't know what to say.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 11:14PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

"deep raspberry pink with a white blush"
-that actually sounds real nice, but I'm sure since they were something special out of Holland you would want them to be what they were supposed to be.

I planted '60 mxd pastel' from Sam's club the year before last.... it was a mix of strong bright yellow. Another bag of mxd darwins turned out to be a yellow/red, pale pink mx, the other bag with the same tag turned out purple and dark pink.... nice colors and I'm not really complaining, but two tulip varieties in a bag doesn't seem like a "rainbow of color" to me..... also (unlike the original poster), I didn't put down good money for a specific variety and end up with a dissapointing show.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
What part of a bulb do deer eat
I realize deers eat bulbs, but do the eat just the...
kfless
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Stanford Brown Leather Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Junction Dining Table
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
Traditional Style Bin Pull
Signature Hardware
Feiss Concord 3-Light 21" Wide Steel Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Chocolate Brown
$489.00 | LexMod
Alessi | SG63 W Electric Citrus Squeezer
$204.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: