transplanting grape hyacinths - can I wait till fall?

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)April 25, 2009

I just dug up about 60 Grape Hyacinth bulbs, while I was making a spot for my new rose bush. Question is, can I store these bulbs in dirt in a pail, in my cellar until fall and then transplant? My mom recently told me that bulbs are planted in fall...

I'm not exactly sure where they will be planted in my yard just yet, so I don't want to put them just anywhere. I'll have a much better idea in fall.

Any info is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hepatica_z7

I have moved hyacinths at all different times, except perhaps when they are in bloom. They seem to take a lot of abuse. My yard is full of them now, after I received a few bulbs from a good hearted, crotchety neighbor of 95+ years, who came over to my yard one day, 20 years ago and thrust a few bulbs at me, saying, "Here, plant these." I keep dividing them and now have dozens of clumps to complement all my spring bulbs, primroses, and lunaria (silver dollar plant.)

You might want to just get yours right in to the ground now. You won't have to worry about storage conditions, or forgetting about them. They will send up some growth toward fall.

Good luck to you and your new rose bush. Happy Spring.
Hepatica

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 7:00PM
stimpy926

If you don't know where you want them to be transplanted to yet, just pot them up as you would summer annuals outside. Don't put them in the basement. Water them, they need to finish feeding through their foliage until they go dormant later. As the foliage begins to yellow and die, stop watering, let the pot dry, then put the pot in the basement. Replant this fall. They will put out fresh foliage this fall and will be semi-evergreen over winter.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:46PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you can, plant in August, or even late July. They start into root growth often long before other spring bulbs, and are sending up leaves well before the first frosts.

If you are planting directly into the ground then they should be cool enough. They can take a lot of heat.

And don't spoil them with good feeding. They just put out tonnes of leaves... :-(

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Sponsored Products
Eight-Piece Pink & White Garden Care Set
$34.99 | zulily
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Farmers Garden Kit
$14.99 | zulily
Trellis Deluxe Garden Tools Tote
$49.99 | zulily