Crinum - Zone 6 - Need planting help

Julia NY(6)April 15, 2013

I was given some crinum - Ellen Bosanquet. I know that I will need to pot them and store for winter here (zone 6) as I've read that digging them up each fall would impact the following bloom season. Not sure why but if this is incorrect let me know.

What is the best type of planting medium to use?
Fertilizer and when to fertilize?
Watering requirements?
How many to plant per pot?
Place mulch on the top?

I plan to store them in our unheated garage during the winter months. What is the lowest temperature they will survive?

Anything else you can recommend?

Thank you!
Julia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I can answer part of your questions. It is quite true that disturbing the bulbs will disrupt bloom for a minimum of one year, maybe more, depending on the size of the bulbs. Crinums are tough and grow in a wide range of conditions, but they definitely appreciate good drainage, regular moisture, and fertilizer. I grow mine in the ground and have the best blooms with a fall dressing of composted manure around the bulbs. I also mulch them year round.

Ellen Bosanquet is a beautiful, deep rose crinum that offsets rapidly. This is why it is so easy to find commercially. For me, its drawback is it only blooms once a year, whereas many other crinums bloom continuously for several months each year.
Elizabeth Traub has the same bloom color as Ellen but blooms from early summer till fall for me here.It does offset, but not quickly. I got my original bulbs from a seller on Ebay.

I have not grown crinums in pots for any amount of time, so cannot help you with those questions.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™