Tulip Germination Experiments
I want to document my experiments with germinating tulip seeds, I figured this would be a good place to keep track of what I've tried.
April 10 2010 - Tulips are blooming outside, I've made attempts to hand-pollinate them. Am not using the Aperitif because I plan to cull them out of my breeding program due to having excessively fragile flowers, and also tall spindly stems even in full sunlight. Am also not using the white noid tulips, though I will leave them in the bed, they look ok, might want them some other year.
Everything else I'll attempt to get seed pods from - From what I've read it's likely several versions will have sterility problems with either the male or female portion of the reproductive anatomy. Any variety which yields no seed pods will be assumed to have 'female sterility'. Currently I strongly suspect the Claudia variety has this problem.
Tulip varieties which have not bloomed yet: griegii fire of love, griegii double red riding hood, acuminata, Texas Flame, Black Parrot, Queen of Night, Paul Schafer, Zurel, and Blue Heron. I'm hoping a few dark ones will bloom in time to breed them with the first batch. Possibly purchase an earlier-blooming parrot variety for next year.
Meanwhile, from the tulips I was attempting to force in pots over the winter, I only obtained 1 seed pod. The stem that the seed pod was on appeared to die due to fungus gnat damage before the seed pod was mature, so the seeds may be nonviable for this environmental reason. I left the seed pod on a sunny windowsill until it began to dry, then gently opened it. Seeds were mostly clear but some had a greenish or light brown tinge to them. I scattered the seeds into a Jiffy greenhouse tray of mixed perlite and potting soil. Because the seeds are not fully dry and hard, they should sprout promptly if they are going to sprout at all, so now I'll observe the tray for 2-3 weeks.