Plant ID please

alabamatreehugger(8)April 18, 2011

What is this called? I assume it has a bulb since it looks similar to gladiolus. Apparently this is something my great grandmother planted back in the 50's, but this is the first time I have noticed it since clearing some heavy brush.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

How pretty and nice you have something that has been in the family for quite a while.

I think they are Byzantine Gladioli.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: images for Byzantine Glads

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 6:49PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Those are species glads, gladioli byzantium. I tried them, they bloomed once and then petered out. You are very lucky to have such a beautiful flower happily established in your gardens, especially with the family history attached to it.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 9:20PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Any idea when would be best time to divide them? I do like them, and would like to have more of them.

That area used to be my great-grandparents front yard/garden, but their old house was moved out in the late 60's. Brush and oaks had taken over, but I cleared much of that out and now I'm finding her old plants still thriving after all those years.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:37PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I'll hope that someone more experienced will chime in but in the meantime I guess I'll put in my 2 cents....

If they go dormant during the summer I would say transplant as the foliage is yellowing.... if they stay green all summer (like regular glads) I would say wait until fall. But that said, they are probably a hard to kill bulb, so even moving them in early spring when the sprouts are just coming up would probably work just fine.

Try a couple, see how they do, and then tackle the rest if it goes well!

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™