allium cristophii (star of persia) seedlings

belfastmomApril 10, 2009

When I did my spring clean up a few weeks ago, I discovered a mass of seedlings growing right under a fallen seed head of a star of persia. I thought (and hoped) they might be star of persia seedlings so I left them be. Now they are bigger, they look like skinny, baby chives and not at all like the leaves of the mature stars of persia that are growing beside them. I also seem to have a quite a lot of them scattered about. So I'm really not sure what they are. Could these be star of persia? Does it grows easily from seed? Has anyone else had them or similar alliums grow from seed.

belfastmom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

I've had lots and lots of seedlings from my Allium christophii, clustered where the seed heads fall as you describe. I think it must take a very long time for them to reach flowering size, though, because it's been at least 6-7 years and I'm still waiting ...

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 9:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

My mom has a large (and expanding) clump of Stars of Persia (Allium christophii) and it has self-sowed and the offspring are blooming. I don't think it should take 6-7 years for them to bloom, more likely they should bloom by about the third season. They can be difficult to start yourself from seed because they need cold stratification and light to germinate but they self-sow fairly easily if you just let the seeds fall on the soil surface and then leave them undisturbed until the next spring when they will germinate when they are ready. Obviously you would want to be careful not to mulch over the seeds which is usually my problem.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™