What are these? Type of Spring Flower.

hostalover360(4)April 21, 2009

Ok, I have a unknown plant I would like to find out what it is. I do know it is a type of Spring Flower. The leaves look like a Crocus to be, There is a small white stripe on the leaves BUT Crocus have 4 or 5 leaves, These have many small leaves per bulb. and the Bulbs don't look like Crocus corms, These are kinda longish it nature, more Regtangle. the rounded. When I look in the middle of the bulb there is a bloom stalk in the middle, They look as though the flowers will be tiny. These bulbs look like they were planted there for many years. Please help me find out what kind of bulbs they are.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheleinri(z6 RI)

I'm not sure, but the leaves having a mid-vein sounds like Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum. The bulb on this would look like a little onion. You'll know better when it blooms. If it is Star of Bethlehem, it can be very weedy, just so you know. Maybe you can try googling an image..?

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 5:59PM
Nancy zone 6

It does sound like it could be Star of B, although I don't remember them having a large number of leaves per bulb. If it has white starlike blooms, it is Star of Bethlehem. Cheleinri isn't kidding saying it is very weedy. In zone 6 these can make huge clumps in a short period of time, & I understand they can spread by seeds as well. I think zone 4 is pushing the edge of their range though, so you may not have as much trouble from them.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 6:09PM
cheleinri(z6 RI)

Mine do have a bunch of leaves per bulb. When I bought this house I was so excited at all the crocus that came up in the spring..talk about disappointing! :P I just got finished pulling them from the back bed this weekend. I don't know what to do about all the ones in the lawn.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™