Bright Idea

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)April 19, 2014

We have a bulb warehouse here in my town. They have fantastic sales at the end of each bulb season. Last fall when I shopped, I bought so much that I got a bonus: a huge bag that contained approximately 500 daffodil bulbs. I was overwhelmed and stupid, so I gave them to my very smart friend. She let her grandchildren plant them in her vegetable garden. When they bloomed, she cut enormous bouquets and took them to people from our church who were in hospitals and nursing homes. So much joy she gave! Then, she let her grands dig up the bulbs and just threw them away. Most them were not really suited to our climate...and they were, after all, free.

Last weekend another friend co-hosted a large bridal party brunch. They bought enough tulips for three centerpieces and spent over $100! Next year, we are both going to plant extra bulbs in our veggie gardens. You just never know...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

Sorry to hear they threw away the daffodil bulbs. They apparently overwintered just fine and even came up. I can't see how that means they are not suited to the area. (Compare that to the case of fuschia, which looks good at the stores but I've heard just dies in our Zone 8 heat -- now that is really not suited to the climate)

Tulip flowers do look good, especially in boquets or en masse, but if I had a choice, I'd go with daffodils in the yard. Of course, I won't overlook free tulips either, and I'd still put in the time and effort to plant both if they were just given to me.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™