Is this pine bark ok?

spy231February 15, 2014

I am wanting to plant some veggies in 5 gallon buckets and plan on using Ray Newsteads mix. I got my potting soil, perlite, and pine bark. Will this pine bark work?

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/spy231/20140211_114055_zpsbad1373e.jpeg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Natures_Nature(5 OH)

From what I can read, it says the size is a inch or less. You want anything 1/2" down for 511, some prefer 3/8 ". The product you showed is likely to be to large, unless you break it up. My lowes has ine bark mulch, nuggets, fines, check out your local lowes! My home depot didnt have anything! Good luck!

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 12:22PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Indeed, whether you are making 5-1-1 or the mix that Ray uses in his self-watering containers, you'll want bark that is 1/2 inch or less, with the majority of the fines in the 1/8 to 1/4 inch range.

Josh

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 12:55PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

The Hapi-Gro mulch has been discussed on this forum in the past. In one thread that I'll link to there were photos of what was in the bag that showed it is quite variable. But I think most of the experienced users of 5-1-1 thought it was a decent choice in either form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another discussion of pine bark fines

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 13:08

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 1:07PM
lucille(Houston)

Why exactly does the bark have to be small chunk fines instead of shreds and larger sizes as in your everyday mulch? Not arguing for that, but just curious.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 1:20PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The large chunks are problematic for several reasons: first, the large size reduces overall room for roots to grow; second, the giant bark makes for drainage that is too fast and dry in the top of the pot; and third, small particulate lodges between the large chunks in the bottom of the pot and actually impedes drainage.

Shredded bark, on the other hand, tends to compact and make a fibrous sort of mat, which holds an excessive amount of moisture.

Josh

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™