Systemic for Container (Decorative)

quimoiFebruary 22, 2014

Hello,

A few years ago, I had a number of decorative containers and these forums helped quite a bit. As happens, health issues took the joy out of it and I stopped.

I thought I might put coleus in one of my planters this year, but my husband threw out my Marathon and I need a suggestion for a container systemic or the bugs will destroy anything I plant. We already have some kind of hoppers that take chunks out of them.

What can I use in the mix? For that matter is there a mix I might find to use in the container? That's always been a real issue too.

Thanks for any help. I'm going to try to take cuttings of the couple of coleus the cat didn't eat!

Diana in PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I've found Bayer Advanced 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control to work well for insects that feed on sap, including mites. and things fungal that you would rather your plant be free of.

Al

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 7:18PM
quimoi

Thank you. I'll look for that. I used to just mix the marathon in with the soil mix and they stayed nice (except for the big holes those leaf hopper things made). Chomp and run.

Diana

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 7:34PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Both products utilize imidicloprid as the systemic insecticide active ingredient. I never liked Marathon because those granules seemed to regularly weaken root systems. You won't have that problem with the 3-in-1 because it's a spray.

Good luck!

Al

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 8:20PM
quimoi

Ah, I really preferred the mixing in the soil but I have a mask that makes me suitable for a sci-fi flick.

It's a bit early to spray outside here in the snow anyway. Lowe's is totally stocked with bug stuff though.

Thanks again.

Diana

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 12:01PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Al

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Question for Al (tapla) re bark in gritty mix
I live in Australia and just starting to experiment...
alan.oz
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™