Bonsai nurseries NY, LI

hookilau(long island NY)October 19, 2012

OK, I've had my fill of looking at nursery stock => I'd like to visit a bonsai nursery but it doesn't seem any of the places I can find online in my area are brick & mortar businesses, just online sales.

Anyone know of a nursery I can visit to look at stuff?...I don't want to necessarily speak to anyone, just look & consider (if that makes any sense, lol) I'm in Long Island & would rather not go into the city, but will if I have to.

Antoinette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

Hookilau,

Hope you came through the hurricane with every thing in tact. Our prayers are with y'all here from in New Orleans. We understand the difficulties and the perseverance it takes to move forward. This nursery may be worth the trip.

http://blog.ctnews.com/healthyhome/2011/07/21/bonsai-artist-has-soul-for-the-task/

Just to study the uplifting works of bonsai art. Aloha

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:50PM
hookilau(long island NY)

thanks lehua :) for the link & kind thoughts.

We only just got power back about an hour ago. Our home is a wee bit inland, so we were spared flooding but not the rest of the fresh hell that comes with the partial breakdown of society :/ New Yorkers can be rough around the edges when things are going WELL, so it's been particularly difficult.

It could've been much worse for us as far as loss, so we're thankful & try not to whine in public, lol. Let's put it this way, I'll never underestimate the value of a hot cup of morning coffee again!

Antoinette

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:31PM
bronxfigs

IF...they are still in business....try: "Jiu San Bonsai", 1243 Mellville Rd., Farmingdale off Route 110.

Also, Shanti Bithi in Stamford, Conn...off the Merritt Pkwy...but, it might be a schlep for you. Come across the Whitestone Bridge, and go straight up the Hutch, which becomes the Merritt. Exit 37, make a left and follow Route 137 for a few miles. Bonsai Nursery on the right. About 30-40 minutes away from Whitestone Bridge...and a nice drive. Call first...reduced winter hours.

Happy shopping.

Frank

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
root pruning saws
Hi everybody, can anybody show me a picture & give...
halocline
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™