source for deep hanging planters

jimfnc(7aNC)February 8, 2011

I've tried several standard hanging baskets (inexpensive) and find they are normally too shallow to hold enough moisture. Have one side of the house that is very sunny, trying various veggie & herb plants, and I can water in the morning and be dried out/dead by eve (hot summer days in NC). Any source for "cheap" but deeper hanging baskets?

And I know the mix has a lot to do with it, suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Just a suggestion, but any container can be a hanging basket by simply placing it within an economical macrame' hanger. They do sell simple ones at most stores that carry indoor gardening supplies... or you could make your own quite simply.

You really don't have to know any complicated knot tying techniques... just a simple overhand or square knot, and some jute or sturdy twine can become a simple hanger for any container you like, deep or shallow. You can even use twine in a color to match your home.

They can be as complicated or as easy as you like, and you can use them indoors or out. I linked a simple version that you could probably whip up in a few minutes, but if you Google "simple macrame plant hangers", you'll find loads of instructions, photos, ideas, etc...

This way, you could use whatever size or shape pot you wanted to use, and you could easily change them out as the seasons change.

I'm sure someone will be along with information on a place you can order deep hanging baskets from, but just in case... macrame' is always an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Macrame' Plant Hanger

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownhoj

These aren't cheap but they are the only ones I have found so far

Here is a link that might be useful: Imperial Hanging Planter

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™