Scillias (sp?)...planted in the lawn, good idea? PIC

dani_plus_2April 18, 2009

Hi! I seen this beautiful place this morning and took a pic. Does anyone think this is a good idea? The whole TOWN has them in thier yards, so I'm thinking it might be invasive? I love the look, but I'm scared I might be starting a war with myself!

Dani

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dani_plus_2

silly me PIC

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 6:53PM
jackied164(z6 MA)

I see that all around in the really swell areas of Cambridge MA. These folks have gardeners or garden services and I think it is all very deliberate. I may be totally wrong but really how could this be wrong? This is beautiful!

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 11:00PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I may be totally wrong but really how could this be wrong?
I wonder if they could in time, be so thick that it would be detrimental to actual grass doing well.

I only say that because my yard is so heavily infested with the Star Of Bethlehem bulbs, that I think it affects the grass...which is not good.

Below is a pic of the front yard, showing the clumps of star of beth bulbs. You can see there are a lot more bulbs than there is grass...The dark spots are the star of beth.

Sue

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 11:24PM
dani_plus_2

I'm just wondering if it gets in the beds, how hard is it going to be to get them out, you know?

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 6:52AM
duluthinbloomz4

We have lots of scilla up in this part of the world too - people welcome them as it's the first thing to bloom with wide carpets of blue. It's beautiful - and they get cut down and disappear with the first of the season's lawn mowings.

I've always had them and they're so small they have little impact on the lawn - particularly if your lawn is in good shape and healthy. They do multiply pretty rapidly, but I just plant right through them in any of the garden beds and they don't bother other plants. But, easy enough to pull or dig out if they're unwanted in beds - a trowel and a piece of screen or a sieve culls them out pretty fast.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 10:49AM
dani_plus_2

That is GREAT!!! Thank you for your response! I have a brick lined front yard that would be perfect for these and you just made my day!!!!

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 2:37PM
elleni(4a)

That photo is lovely. I planted lots of Stripped Squill, Glory-of-Snow and blue Scilla under our front Apple tree. So far only the Stripped Squill have come up.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™