Tall, narrow pot

schifferle(5b NE Kansas)February 18, 2010

I impulse bought a tall, narrow ceramic pot for the front of my house. It wasn't until I got it home that I got to wondering how to plant flowers in it. It's a waste of potting soil to fill it up with annuals whose roots won't go very far down. If I plant them in a smaller pot & sit the pot inside the ceramic pot, I have the problem of what to use to keep it raised up. I always see photos in magazines of flowers in similar containers, but they never mention how they plant in them, just what they plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adamark

I have a few of those. I put the smaller container inside. Make sure it is the same size at the top. Some of them "hang" within the larger ones. So, I don't have to fill those huge pots with potting soil. Also, I was able to keep my very nice ceramic pots (with "fake" Christmas trees)and no poting soil through the winter - and no breaks. So far, so good...

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 12:44AM
cebury(9)

I've placed several empty aluminum soda cans (with non-crinkled sides), upside down, and put a simple mesh on top. Then the soil sits on that to reduce the volume. The cans hold a tremendous amount of weight. But I don't know if the cans are tall enough for your pot.

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 3:43AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

In the past, I've used those packing peanuts to help fill up volume. However, I've heard mention of empty water / soda bottles used in the container, and that would be my method if I had a large container to pot.

Josh

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 11:21AM
calistoga_al

I have a few tall containers, not because the plants in them will likely send roots to the bottom, but because the container fits the location. Yes I paid quite a lot extra for the tall decorated containers. Because I feel strongly that the mix in any container should not vary in composition from the top to the bottom, I am willing to spend the buck or two extra for the correct mix in the right amount to fill the container. Al

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Can anyone predict future of this coconut tree?
its been around 6 months since I have potted this local...
amriteanukul112
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™