Short to non-existing tulips

mycupofjoe(zone 7 - central NJ)April 26, 2009

Hi! I planted bulbs two falls ago. We have various ones and are never sure what will grow since the squirrels just love to dig my bulbs right up.

Last year the tulips grew and flowered, but were shorties. This year, they are extremely short (some did flower) but some are not even an inch off of the ground (and miraculously did flower/bloom). Then there are a ton of non-flowered tulips - just the leaves. There were more tulips last year than this year. :(

Is there a way to fix this? I'm really tempted to dig up everything I can and start over. The first 4 years living here the tulips always came up fine. Just the past two have been beyond frustrating.

Oh - and I just thought to add, there are gladiolas that come up and they've been coming up fine. I also have a patch of irises (not a clue where they came from, lol) that grow beautifully as well. It's just the tulips that are giving me the issues.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

A dry spring can cause tulips to have short stems. Also, as the bulbs get weaker, (as tulip bulbs inevitably do) the stems and flowers may get smaller, if you get them at all.

Many species tulips have 2-3" stems naturally. But they don't get shorter every year.

I treat most of my tulips as annuals and replant every year. If any come back, it's a gift.

Glads and irises are much more perennial than tulips.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mycupofjoe(zone 7 - central NJ)

Thanks for the information! I think then, I'll just go ahead and replant this fall and hope for the best!

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Need help germinating some old bulbs w/ pic
I've got these 3 old bulbs that have been sitting in...
bradleyheathhays
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™