New to veggies and need advice

rakin(7b)February 19, 2014

This is my first year trying veggies and I want to plant some Roma tomatoes and some type of pickling cucumbers in containers. (I don' t think my raised bed gets quite enough sun for these - it faces east and gets dappled sun from 7:30ish - 9 and full sun from 9 - 1) If that's doable great. But in the meantime, I have a patio planter that is 12x12x27. Can I use that for cucumbers on a trellis? Is it deep enough for the roots? If so, how many cucumber plants can I fit comfortably in there? I am hoping to get enough to make 3-4 jars of pickles minimum. Since I don't know a thing about growing cucumbers, I don't know if that is possible with containers.
Also, I have 2 self water containers that are 16" rounds by about 24" deep. Is this okay for the Romas? I know they say to use large containers for tomatoes, but I didn't know if a small determinate would be okay for this size. I have so many questions, but I will leave it at this for the moment. Unless someone wants to throw in some advice on container grown sugar baby watermelons. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Assuming that 12x12x27 is inches, not feet. :)

Can't help with the cucumbers but that' size will work for the Romas or any dwarfs/cherries. You could make that size work for a lot of cherry-ish indets like Sungold too if you plant them deep and water religiously.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:51PM
calbayarea(9 SF Bay/Fremont)

I grew some cucumbers last year in five gallon buckets which I'm guessing is close to your 12 x 12 and they came out OK. I had one plant per bucket. I also did some watermelon in 12 gallon container and actually got a few medium sized ones.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 12:53AM
rakin(7b)

Thanks. I guess I'm going to try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll just try again next year. Now I just need to figure out what medium I want to use. For my flowers, I would just use MG potting mix. But I am not sure if I want to do that for the veggies. I have some left over Black Kow and peat moss and a few other odds and ends, but I am still researching the best method for containers. This site has offered some great inspiration!

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:45PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You can grow cucumber in container but need some king of trellis so the wines can cling on and climb. But I think 5 gallon is not big enough. UNLESS you plant a single per bucket. I usually plant two per hill in the ground. This helps pollination.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 2:02AM
More Discussions
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Pre-watering before Fertilizing Vegetables
I have read on GardenWeb where some people (who appear...
stringz
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
Tabby Polished Nickel One-Light Flush Mount with Clear Glass
$100.80 | Bellacor
New Super Antiqued Heriz Hand Knotted Wool Serapi 3' X 5' Red Oriental Rug H5330
BH Sun Inc
Illumine Lamps 28.5 in. Dark Bronze Table Lamp with Cloud Glass Shade
Home Depot
Acclaim Linen Tower by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown/Tan 2 ft. 3 in. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
Maria Theresa Chrome Thirty-Four Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear C
Bellacor
EdgeStar Black Full Size Kegerator with Digital Display
Overstock.com
Design House Oakmont Widespread Lavatory Faucet - 523324
$172.66 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™