snow and freeze forecast--should I cover tulips?

raee_gwApril 14, 2014

The buds are above ground although none are opening yet. The hyacinths and daffodils, anemones and chionodoxa are all in full bloom. I am more worried about the forecast of overnight temp in the 20's than possible snow. Can any of these blooms survive a freeze, or should I be cutting the blooms and covering the buds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

They will be fine. Tulips won't care. The daffodils might go limp until it warms again but that depends on how cold it gets. Cut a few daffs anyway, it's a shame to leave them all outside!

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:38PM
raee_gw

Thanks Kato_b, we did get about 1/2 - 1 inch of snow but the temps are just at freezing. Tomorrow night it is supposed to hit 20F. I did cover most of the daffs and hyacinths with sheets, and piled Christmas tree branches over the still emerging buds of tulips. The smaller flowers are on their own! (and yes, I did cut a bouquet!)

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:40AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

How did you make out with the cold? We went down to around 20F last night and today some of the hyacinths look a little droopy and have that glassy look. I hope they recover, but it hasn't really warmed up long enough to know for sure. Everything else looks ok except for some corydalis that I'm also hoping will recover.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:37PM
raee_gw

I went on a marathon of covering things yesterday, since I had just acquired a duffle bag of old sheets and had a lot of empty pots... I was worried about all the surviving tidbits of roses that were leafing out too ....uncovered everything today, and although yes, the daffs/hyacinths/chionodoxa are all droopy they look pretty intact. Even those I didn't cover. And the blossoms on the nanking cherry (which opened between the time I first posted and yesterday afternoon!) seemed to come through unharmed.

Not so the magnolia blossoms though. Yesterday beautiful, today just limp brown rags. So sad but happens every 3rd year at least.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™