Daffodils: Prolific Lower Midwest Cultivars?

jmcbackyarddigger(z6b So IL)April 7, 2011

Don't know why but some cultivars of daffodils do better for me than others. I've noticed that "Mount Hood" is very, very stubborn. In fact, it didn't even bloom for me this year. I really, really like it, but it just doesn't do that well for some reason.

Any recommendations for some bi-colored daffodils that have a better chance of producing tons of bloom.

I love "Delibes".... And I prefer the stems that produce large single blooms.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Mount Hood 'should' bloom for you just fine, even if the bulbs don't increase a lot like something very prolific like Ice Follies.
I'd suggest you read through the many reason why daffodils don't bloom at the link below. If Mount Hood is a fairly large 'clump' of foliage, my guess is that they need lifted and divided, and replanted.
Last year, did you leave the foliage in place to wither' for about 6 weeks past it's normal bloom time?
The daffs, or plants around them weren't fed with high nitrogen fertilizer, were they, as that encourages production of leaves, but seems to quell the plant's need for flowers?

I'd assume that ones that are good for naturalizing, would be good candidates as far as being prolific and trouble free.

Taken from the ADS site Naturalizing Daffodils
"Some varieties which make beautiful drifts and last well are Ice Follies, Tete-a-Tete, Flower Record, Delibes, Unsurpassable, Barrett Browning, Scarlet Gem, Geranium, Cheerfulness, Peeping Tom, Mount Hood, Spellbinder, Carlton, and Viking. There are many others which will thrive with little care. "

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS-Daffodils Not Blooming?

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Worsleya procera
I posted this on the Amaryllis forum, but wanted to...
bluebonsai101
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™