Crinum White Queen

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)April 29, 2010

Anyone grow this one? Mine is about two years old. Last year, it emerged, and by mid summer, completely disappeared. I thought I had lost it. But, it's back this spring (hooray!). I've never heard of a crinum that goes summer dormant. Is this one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I only started growing Crinum last year, so it is a learning experience. They went through the long summer just fine, only a couple bloomed. I was surprised that they went through the winter with no protection. I am anxious to see how they bloom this year. I have several new(to me)bulbs with no idea what to expect. Last year the Scadoxus was a delightful surprise, so I ordered several more bulbs I had never heard of. Al

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 9:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I think you will love them, Al. My first ones were some old Milk and Wine lilies that I got in trade for some roses. I have had them four or five years now, and they are wonderful. They begin to bloom as the daylilies poop out here, and each year, they bloom more. Last summer, they went through five or six bloom cycles. I was thrilled. Over the years, I have added several other varieties, some of which should bloom this year. I am really looking forward to it. I recently read that they like fertilizer in the spring, so this year, I used Plant Tone around all the bulbs, in addition to the composted manure I sidedress them with in the fall. Without a doubt, the plants look healthier than I ever remember.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™