Seedlings not maturing?

BatsukamanFebruary 16, 2013

Hey there gardenweb! I'm new. I live in the city but I love the idea of an edible garden, so I've been trying just about everything I can in containers.

Among my collection I have a pot containing some Danvers half-long carrots and some kohlrabi that I started from seed. The little guys germinated well and I was very excited. But almost a month later, they've only gotten slightly taller than they were a few days after they came up, and they have no new leaves.

I have them next to a window where they get at least 5 hours of bright (but indirect) light a day. The kohlrabi is looking a little leggy, so I'm tempted to say that this is a light issue, except that all the plants I have that weren't started from seed (including some beets I regrew from supermarket roots) seem perfectly happy under the same conditions. I'll buy a grow light if necessary, but I wanted to check what you guys think first.

Could it be a crowding issue? The plants are about 1/4 inch to 1 inch apart. I also have them on a heater to counter the draft from the window, could that be the problem? I've had similar issues with other seeds before, but I didn't think much of it because I wasn't really serious about growing those.

I recently pulled up one of the carrots to make room for another seeding (kailaan) that I wanted to put there, and I didn't notice any notable root development. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emgardener

Sounds like a light issue.
Plants really need direct sunlight or a grow light.
Might want to check the growing under lights forum.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 High 4-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture with Ti
Home Depot
Genesis Cold Frame Seed Starte
Overstock.com
Seedling by thomaspaul Dahlia 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Columbia Full over Full Staircase Bunk Bed - Caramel Latte - AB55807
Hayneedle
Seedling by thomaspaul Aviary 13 1/2" W Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Hydrofarm Jump Start 4 Foot Grow Light Kit - 54W - JSV4
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Hydrofarm Hot House with Heat Mat 72 Cell Pack - 17W - CK64060