Container Garden Experiment Results (Yield per container

captiveroots(6A)February 2, 2013

Here are the results of my container garden experiment. I grew many types of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, okra, and a lot more in various sizes of planters last summer and kept track of all fruit we harvested.

If you're looking for data on what type of yield to expect given a certain planting situation, hopefully this will help! I am also pretty active on there posting pictures, experiences, etc. if anyone is interested.

The link is included below:

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the results chart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

That's very informative and impressive. Thanks for sharing. I grow many of the same vegetables in containers. For the first time last summer, I grew my heirloom tomatoes with only one per 25 gallon container. Since I only have six containers for tomatoes, it was very hard not to grow my usual three per pot. But I definitely had much better yield per plant and a lot less disease. Eggplants and peppers don't seem to mind a little crowding, but big beefsteak types need a lot of room (and food) to produce well.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:53PM
afishlady(8b)

Lots of neat pictures and information. You have done a lot with a sunny porch- I hope my in ground garden does half as well! Thanks for the tips.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:10PM
marc5(6aOH)

Thanks, CR. Can you tell more about the mix you used in the containers? Fertilizer?

Thanks

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:08PM
emgardener

Check his April 2012 post. Sta-Green potting mix. Miracle Grow fertilizer.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:16PM
captiveroots(6A)

I did use Miracle Grow fertilizer at first, but then I switched over to Tomato Tone and I liked it a lot better.

For one thing, the Tomato Tone seemed to lead to a massive growth spurt. Also, (I'm not sure if this was due to the Tomato Tone or not) but when I started using Tomato Tone the problems with Blossom End Rot pretty much went away. I was losing peppers and tomatoes left and right before that.

As far as the dirt, I used the Sta Green primarily because it was relatively light (we live in an upstairs apartment so it all has to go out on the porch) and seemed to have a good consistency. I liked the results, so I will probably use it again this year.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:08AM
captiveroots(6A)

I am adding two neat things to the garden this year: a prickly pear cactus and a meyer lemon! I'll be blogging quite a bit about those things this spring, as well as the normal garden stuff!

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:09AM
captiveroots(6A)

I revamped my seedling table and posted some pictures if anyone is interested. I'm currently working on getting a prickly pear cutting, which will hopefully be the subject of a post in the relatively near future.

Here is a link that might be useful: New seedling table setup

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™