blue grape hyacinths - what to do ?

sakura28(Zone 6)April 29, 2009

Hello -

I have a flower bed along the side of our house that is running rampant with blue grape hyacinths. I didn't plant them myself- they were here when we bought the house. I love them but, they are crowding out any other flowers that I try to plant there, and it's hard to work around the mass of foliage. My idea was to redo the whole flower bed because it is rather a chaotic mess of a little of this & a little of that here & there, and blue grape hyacinths everywhere, even spilling out from the bed onto the grass. I'd like to put all the bg hyacinths in one area, somewhere in the yard where it will compliment them better, but I'm stumped for ideas at the moment ...

So my question is, can I just dig them up now & store them until I get inspired ? Or do I have to wait until fall ? How do I store them ? My great-grandmother used to keep tulip bulbs in a paper bag in the basement. Is it the same way for bg hyacinths ? Should I leave the foliage on or cut it off ?

Thank you !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

They will soon be going dormant for the summer. If you don't want to kill them out (deep, deep mulch will smother them), I would leave them alone and then plan to carefully dig and relocate or thin them come fall when their foliage emerges again. I have moved them this way, and when there are so many, so what if you lose a few along the way?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:36PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

My idea was to redo the whole flower bed because it is rather a chaotic mess of a little of this & a little of that here & there, and blue grape hyacinths everywhere,
If you are really wanting to start on the bed, and get them out of there (which I can understand perfectly) I think it would be fine to dig them and let them dry a few days (in the shade but where they will get some good air movement) with the foliage attached. Once the foliage has withered, then store them in a cool dry place...like a basement.
Any that you happen to miss, you can then dig out in the fall hopefully without disturbing your other newly planted goodies.

There will probably be thousands of GH bulbs of various sizes. I'd just plant the biggest ones. They 'may' sulk next season by being dug at this time of the year, but should survive just fine and reward your efforts in years to come.... imho.

Sue

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:54PM
sakura28(Zone 6)

Thank you for the information ... I will probably do a little at a time and move some, store some, move some, store some ... I have lots of grand ideas but never enough time to get it done very quickly !

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
What's wrong with my daffodils?
I have inherited a large quantity of daffodils on the...
traveler000mkl
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Celestial Wanderings Giclee
FRONTGATE
Possini Euro Design Nemo Blue Art Glass Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
20-Piece Zaffiro Flatware Service - RED
$160.00 | Horchow
Out of the Blue Picture Frame
| Dot & Bo
Pera 9 Satin Nickel Six-Light Mini Pendant with Ceylon Glass
Bellacor
Elk Lighting Celina 3-Light Chandelier in Polished Chrome & Starburst Blue Glass
Beyond Stores
New Rust Blue 9 X 18 Antiqued Oriental Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Wool Rug - H326
BH Sun Inc
Blue & White Portia Shower Curtain
$19.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™