World's largest plant container?

s8us89dsFebruary 16, 2013

I turned my in-ground swimming pool into what might be the world's largest planter/container. Like a planter, my pool now has some drainage holes in the bottom of it. And it holds dirt. A lot of dirt. About 7 or 8 large truckloads of it or about 15,000 gallons of dirt.

It's surrounded by a tile lip and a flagstone patio, so it stands out from the rest of the yard.

As a bonus, it has a small spa/hot tub section next to it that was also built into the ground and covered with tile and stone. It's raised slightly, so it looks even more like a plant container. It only holds about 400 gallons.

And as an extra added bonus, the pool came with a large rock waterfall at one end that is now a landscape feature. It has several areas in it that are planters as well. It holds maybe 10 gallons.

I hope that these "planters" will eventually hold a half dozen large trees, plus assorted shrubs and other plants.

Is it the world's largest plant container? I don't know. I did a Google search and found a 1/4 ton hanging planter basket in front of a hotel in London. I think mine is larger, though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Since your "container" is connected to the ground it is no longer a container, but a raised bed. You should be able to grow anything in it you could grow in the ground. Al

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:49AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Can you take pictures? I would love to see the end result.

Thanks

Mike

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:46AM
mrlike2u(**)

Pics need cameras to take them and cameras require focus. Focus is what the OP is really lacking.

Is there is to be a pic ? Chances are better I'll be posting on this forum by typing/writing in better English than I do now while living on a different planet.

Until then it's still half of what I see and none of what I hear.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™