Weird container advice

kd-didFebruary 24, 2011

Weird container is a couple of large legal size filing cabinets I found really cheap in a junk yard. Hadn't even thought about making them SWC until I found this forum and now I'm slightly obsessed with trying to do it and am trying to modify the instructions for the Earth Tainer to suit this larger format.

I'm thinking of using a pondliner cut to fit the lower 8-12" portion of the file case - (which has its drawers removed and is lying on its back, drawer openings skyward), cutting some plastic buckets down to make a support for the grid/separator, that I'm considering creating from that plastic trellis material covered with a landscape fabric to keep the soil above and then pond plant containers to hold the soil wicks.

Am I crazy? Are there better ideas? I love the idea of reusing these file cabinets. Here is where the idea came from:

http://baldmanmodpad.blogspot.com/2009/07/filing-planter-returns.html

Wondering if the cabinet will be too deep to allow sufficient wicking action?

BTW, thanks to this forum for the info on preventing blossom end rot on container grown tomatoes!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Shucks! I thought for sure it was going to be weird ADVICE and not weird CONTAINER! lol

Good luck with the project, looks pretty nifty.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 11:37AM
kd-did

LOL! I likely have some weird advice running around inside my head (that would account for the voices?) but nope, not this time!

When I get them done, I'll try and come back and post pics. Seems like no one wants to touch this with a 10 foot pole - just my kind of project.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 1:00PM
et14(7a-VA)

go for it!

What color is the filing cabinet? You want to keep an eye on how hot it gets. Maybe some plywood or thick foam board insulation.

Other than that, have fun!

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 7:22PM
kd-did

Good idea! I haven't picked out the paint color (this small project is mushrooming up into building an area of brick patio to place them on) but that's a good idea - I sanded and primed the exterior but haven't picked a color yet - maybe go lighter in color than I was thinking...
Thanks!

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:20AM
nugardnrinnc

Hello. I found that to be quite the weird container, but would look quite normal in these parts lol. The previous owner at my house actually built a raised bed for a bathtub. I don't know much about converting things into containers, but heat could be a big problem. Remember a brick patio is only gonna hold more heat. Good luck to you.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:09PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

what a great idea. the yellow paint should do well at keeping the soil temps from rising to high.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 3:20PM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

That's pretty awesome! Years ago my neighbor gave me a plastic outdoor sink that we never used. I have potatoes growing in there now! Make use of what you got!

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Sponsored Products
Flower Photo 18 x 18 Pillow
$19.95 | Bellacor
Stowe Ottoman - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Critter Nation Single Unit with Stand - 161
$152.99 | Hayneedle
Sabrina Silver Dicro Wavy Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$301.50 | Bellacor
IMAX Jourdan Ceramic Vase - 87843
$113.93 | Hayneedle