Anyone else's hyacinths not blooming yet?

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)April 18, 2009

I planted 24 blue hyacinths last fall from Colorblends. Planted them about 4 to 5 inches deep. I first planted Baby Boomers about 8 to 10 inches deep then some soil then the hyacinths. The daffs are coming up, but only one hyacinth shoot showing. What might be wrong? I've grown hyacinths before and never had a problem. They are in full sun all day, too. All my neighbors hyacinths are already up and blooming. Frustrating!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

I plant hyacinths every fall, I love them. The ones planted the fall before take much longer to come up than the ones that are established.

I have several newly planted hyacinths that are just starting to push buds up now, and I'm a zone ahead of you. Meanwhile, my established ones have been up and blooming for at least 3 weeks. Give them some time and let us know how it goes.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 9:36PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Thanks Ladychroe! I was gettin' worried lol. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe a couple of weeks.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 10:49PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Mine are just showing buds. The ones not in full sun are much further behind. THis is for ones planted last fall. Ones planted before 08 are further up and starting to open.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 11:57PM
quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)

I don't know why but my hyacinths bulbs always rise even if I plant them deep. I don't know if that's normal or what. But you can even see the top of the bulb at the base of the stem on mine. Mine have bloomed but are budding and I bet in a week or so will have some color. I seem them in full bloom all over town though.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 9:15AM
blake0808

I have some new (planted last Fall) hyacinths and they are up and have just yesterday started to bloom. They are just beautiful. They are new to our garden and I am sure I will keep adding those beautiful bulbs!

They were some of my first bulbs up - even before my tulips and daffs. I live in a cold climate as well. I don't know why my bulbs came up before yours or are starting to blossom. It must have more to do with individual planting places than exact zone???

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 1:09AM
More Discussions
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™