tete a tete coming up stunted

mukson(pa 5)April 16, 2013

I have planted a bed of tete a tete daffodils and most are doing well. However those nearest a footpath are coming up OK but then ceasing to grow and discoloring after a few inches of growth. I guess the soil next to the path lacks nutrients. my question is, can i move these bulbs back or, having had a bad season, are they too far gone and i should just throw them away.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Was the path salted in the winter?

I would just move them somewhere else but then I can't stand throwing away plants.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:26PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

I have also noticed this happening this year, not only with Narcissus 'Tete-a-Tete' but also with other bulbs like hyacinths and colchicums.

I think it is due to extreme weather conditions which have caused the bulbs to develop rot. We had wild temperature variations during the winter with heavy rains followed by weeks below freezing with no snow cover. The ground was frozen solid here.

To top it off, when things finally started to warm up a bit, we had several weeks with no rain. In spite of being previously waterlogged and frozen, the ground became bone dry in certain areas, which is never good for developing bulbs.

When the rains finally came, some of these poor stressed out bulbs just started to rot, sending up weak growth just above ground that looks deformed and starts to turn brown and die.

I noticed the areas that were most parched during our "drought of March" are the ones with the greatest amount of affected bulbs.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:30PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Tete a tete is a very tough little bulb. I planted a few on a hillside that was terrible thick heavy clay several years ago. The poor things came up every year but never bloomed, multiplying steadily in spite of it all. A couple years ago, I dug them up, divided them, and moved them to a good bed, and in two years, they were spectacular.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:30PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Any chance of pictures?

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™