Tulipa greigii? can I save them?

tropical_thought(San Francisco)April 5, 2011

If these tulips are Tulipa greigii Easter Surprise, I had them once before as a sort of bonus bulb, but they did not come back. Should I dig them up and then chill them. I want them to naturalize. I feel that the parrots will not be worth trying to get to rebloom, but the Tulipa greigii being a sort of more lowly plant, maybe it will be possible to get them to rebloom? By lowly, I mean "high dutch tulips" never rebloom in my climate, no matter what.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of tulips on flickr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I went through the digging,storing and chilling tulips several times before deciding it just was not worth the effort for the rewards. Whether they will bloom again next year I found, depended on how big the bulb was. My experience was that anything less than 12 cm or 4 7/8 inches circumference could not be expected reliably to bloom. Many tulips will produce a lot of "splits" and will seldom if ever make a bulb large enough to bloom again. Al

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 8:33AM
lavatea(TX - 8a)

So do you leave them where they are and just plant new ones? Or do you still dig them up and just discard them?

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:10AM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

No one has told me yet if they are tulip greigii. I would be more likely to try to save them if they were. I dig up and discard. It is not hard to dig up because my soil is very rich with compost. If I do not dig up and discard, they come back as leaves only next year, then not at all in the following years. The idea of saving the larger ones is a good idea. Another idea is trading them away to someone who lives back east. I can mail bulbs if they are free from soil. But, they are so cheap to buy. One can buy that same pack from home depot. They were 50% off on the day after thanksgiving at home depot. I got something like 8 bulbs for about 2.50.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:48AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

They do like like it. Unlike most greigii, Easter Surprise doesn't appear to have the distinctive leaf markings. How they would behave in SF I have no idea.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 4:17PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have multiple Tulipa greigii cultivars in my garden that are over a decade old. I do not dig them up or protect them in any way. They are perennial for me here in Portland and they bloom every year.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:09PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Brent and Becky this year does allow for 5 Easter Surprise Tulipa greigii for five dollars. Last year I am sure it was a 10 or 12 minimum. But, they changed and that is good. I may get some to see if they can naturalize. Maybe I have two right now, so I am debating digging up and refrigerating vs leaving in the ground.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™