Tulipa greigii? can I save them?

tropical_thought(San Francisco)April 5, 2011

If these tulips are Tulipa greigii Easter Surprise, I had them once before as a sort of bonus bulb, but they did not come back. Should I dig them up and then chill them. I want them to naturalize. I feel that the parrots will not be worth trying to get to rebloom, but the Tulipa greigii being a sort of more lowly plant, maybe it will be possible to get them to rebloom? By lowly, I mean "high dutch tulips" never rebloom in my climate, no matter what.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of tulips on flickr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I went through the digging,storing and chilling tulips several times before deciding it just was not worth the effort for the rewards. Whether they will bloom again next year I found, depended on how big the bulb was. My experience was that anything less than 12 cm or 4 7/8 inches circumference could not be expected reliably to bloom. Many tulips will produce a lot of "splits" and will seldom if ever make a bulb large enough to bloom again. Al

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 8:33AM
lavatea(TX - 8a)

So do you leave them where they are and just plant new ones? Or do you still dig them up and just discard them?

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:10AM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

No one has told me yet if they are tulip greigii. I would be more likely to try to save them if they were. I dig up and discard. It is not hard to dig up because my soil is very rich with compost. If I do not dig up and discard, they come back as leaves only next year, then not at all in the following years. The idea of saving the larger ones is a good idea. Another idea is trading them away to someone who lives back east. I can mail bulbs if they are free from soil. But, they are so cheap to buy. One can buy that same pack from home depot. They were 50% off on the day after thanksgiving at home depot. I got something like 8 bulbs for about 2.50.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:48AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

They do like like it. Unlike most greigii, Easter Surprise doesn't appear to have the distinctive leaf markings. How they would behave in SF I have no idea.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 4:17PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have multiple Tulipa greigii cultivars in my garden that are over a decade old. I do not dig them up or protect them in any way. They are perennial for me here in Portland and they bloom every year.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:09PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Brent and Becky this year does allow for 5 Easter Surprise Tulipa greigii for five dollars. Last year I am sure it was a 10 or 12 minimum. But, they changed and that is good. I may get some to see if they can naturalize. Maybe I have two right now, so I am debating digging up and refrigerating vs leaving in the ground.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Sponsored Products
Hartz Living Litter Spoon - 0860-5271
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Hydroview Sport HD Camera
FRONTGATE
Uttermost Capulin 53 1/2" High Welded Metal Mirror
Lamps Plus
Modern Fan Company | Flute Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Anchor Hocking 2-quart Clear Glass Bistro Pitcher with Red Stopper
Overstock.com
Terzani | Magdalena Large Pendant Light
YLighting
Enright 22" Wide Bronze LED Plug In Picture Light
$99.98 | Lamps Plus
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine Royal English Deluxe Outdoor Glider Loveseat - 611-W
$240.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™