Banyan bonsai preparation

patmcl48October 20, 2013

Hi all

I have these 3 cuttings that rooted about 6 weeks ago. They were taken from a small tree and I couldn't take any large branches, so I now have these fully rooted and 6 or 7 inch tall trees.

Im intending to transplant them up to a bigger pot soon, but I have a few questions about a plan I could implement to maximize growth potential in just a few months after the frost recedes in NY.

Ive read elsewhere that these trees grow particularly well when planted in the ground and then potted after about 1.5 or 2 years. This gives them ample time to thicken their trunk and develop a mature bark layer.

I am a complete novice and dont have any experience other than growing quite a few houseplants for the past few years, but would it be a good thing to actually plant the banyan trees I have outside once spring sets in? I feel that the digging up in the fall would cause a bit of damage, but it could be done.

Maybe just keeping the banyan trees in large pots outside in the warmer months would be best

I live near the finger lakes in NY and the winter forces me to keep alot of plants indoors.

Thanks for the time!

More Discussions
New to bonsai
Hey there. I am relatively new to indoor plants although...
ecj2015
Fukien Tea in bloom!
Brand new to Bonsai but my Fukien Tea has started opening...
DavidL.ca
PLEASE HELP MY BONSAI!
Hi, I've had my bonsai for a year, ligustrum, it was...
nicoleaspen24
making bonsai leaves smaller
i heard somewhere that if you cut back the leaves on...
raregreen
bonsai a large outdoor camellia?
Someone long ago planted this camellia much too close...
Kristin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™