Storing tulip & narcissus bulbs

arghMay 13, 2011

I'm in zone 10 and many of my tulip and narcissus plantings have now gone through yellowing of the leaves. If I plan to plant other things in the area, is it proper to dig them up now and store in my garage over the summer in the original perforated bag until it's time for the 6-8 week chilling before replanting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Since the foliage has yellowed, it is the proper time to dig them for storage. Not being sure just how hot your garage gets there in zone 10, it 'may' be a bit too hot for them.

Mesh bags, like onions or potatoes come in, would allow the bulbs to get more air (less chance of rot), or even placing then in a single layer (or thin anyway) in a cardboard 'flat' would be fine also. The perforated bag may be fine, but some are paper with holes in them, and other are plastic with holes in them. Neither would be as good, imho as the mesh bags or boxes I suggested.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:31PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Sue,
What about one of those lingerie bags you wash hosiery or delicate undergarments in that has holes? I don't buy an potatoes or onions in mesh bags. Can such bags be purchased in any catalogue?

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 8:08AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Just to be clear, you do not HAVE to dig them and store them. You can just gently plant your annuals in between the bulbs and they'll all co-exist together.

And yes, lingerie bags will be fine. I dug a bunch last year and stored them over the summer for fall planting and I just spread them out in a single layer on newspapers in my basement. They did great. The key is to keep them dry (airy) and cool.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Kichler Loom Olde Bronze Wall Sconce 1-Light
PLFixtures
Streamlight Strion Rechargeable LED DC Light - 774004
$112.99 | Hayneedle
Quantum Stainless Steel 11-Light Silver Teak Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 1
Bellacor
Powder Coated Victorian Bronze Energy Star Rustic Outdoor Wall Lantern with Phot
$84.97 | Bellacor
Sandusky Lee 800 Series 30 Inch 4 Drawer Lateral Filing Cabinet - LF8F304-05
$609.28 | Hayneedle
Nostalgia Electrics CFF552 Commercial Stainless Steel Chocolate Fondue Fountain
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Curl Matte Black 15-Inch Three Light Billiard Bar with Honey and Brown Mission G
$715.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™