Dandruff like white on Coreopsis leaves

mzmalikFebruary 11, 2014

Hi, I am newbie to gardening and this year I started some perennials from seeds. Sadly, I was very late in sowing, and instead of transplanting them on time, I now have to read those seedlings / plants indoors until this spring.

My coreopsis seedling leaves have developed white dandruffy stuff. It is definitely a lot! Because when I share the leaves, it blows off slightly but not all of it. Does someone here know what this is and is this a problem? The plant itself seems to be growing fine. But this problem, along with the changed shape of the leaves (the leaves seem to be indented / hollowed out) seem to be unsightly! I just want these to survive until May! So I can transplant them outside.

If you need to see images, let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Yes, attach a pic and please let us know what city/part of the country you live in.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 4:28PM
mzmalik

So here is the coreopsis seedling with that white stuff on it. When I flick the leaves, some of it gets off, kind of like dust, but most of it stays on there.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:21PM
mzmalik

Here is a closeup.

I live in Allentown, PA. Zone 6a if I remember correctly.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:22PM
mzmalik

This is the mint seedling, which I started from a stem transplant. You can see different kind of white stuff here too. This is kind of attached to the leaves and the leaves are sticky in these seedlings. Coreopsis seedling leaves are NOT sticky. There is also darkening of leaves, I hope you can see it.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:26PM
mzmalik

This is kind of extra. This is PowWow wild berry. Any idea what's wrong? This is not only on the leaves closest to the light but also on leaves farther away from light.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:29PM
mzmalik

This is the the growing point of the same PowWow plant, you can see that the new leaves do NOT have the discolored / dying leaves but what is that white stuff on the stems?

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 7:32PM
woodlandpatio

Looks like Powdery Mildew

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™