Tulip post bloom

katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)May 24, 2009

This last fall I planted many many tulip bulbs and was rewarded this spring with the best show of tulips we have ever had. I have to say it was wonderful. Not sure if the weather conditions were right or the bulbs were better but it was pretty exciting.

Now the foliage on several has died back entirely. On some it is still green. If I want to try and have flowers again next fall what is the best course of action for me? Dig them up or leave in the ground? In the past I've always just left them in the ground because I wasn't impressed enough with the previous bulbs performance to put forth any effort.

Thank you.

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Please note my response to rocketjeremy6. In your location (the same as mine), you should start chilling in a refrigerator about the first of September, after having spent the last few months in a cool dark place. I have a separate refrigerator to prevent bloom damage from gases emitted from fresh fruit in the household refrigerator. I plant mine the first week of December under my roses and they come up in about 6 weeks. They finish blooming about the time the roses leaf out, which makes a good combination. Al

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 9:50AM
katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)

Hey Al.

Thanks for your post. For a second there I was beginning to wonder if my question didn't actually belong on the bulb forum.

I appreciate your feedback. However our weather is a bit more wintery than yours from what you say. By December our ground is frozen solid and you cannot start working again in the garden until at least April usually. That's when the tulips start to break ground. Or not if the weather was long and snowy. So I need to research further I think. I'm trying to work out if I should be digging them up now and just keeping them dry and cool all summer and then replant in October. Last year I bought the bulbs in October and planted them around Halloween some time.

Kate

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 12:04PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Kate you must live in a elevation of over 5 thousand feet and tulips would probably do OK if not dug at all. Your temperatures sound like what tulips like. You would plant them deeper and they would be a little later blooming than here. They should be fine in the ground all summer. Al

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
daves10z7annv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™