hardiness of Asiatic and Oriental lilies

ryseryse_2004May 25, 2013

It seems the Asiatic are much hardier and often the Orientals don't return. Also, the Asiatic are much earlier in coming up and it seems the Orientals just take forever to grow. Do they just need a warmer soil?

I planted the dwarf border ones and wanted them to bloom at the same time (white Asiatic and pink Oriental) but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They are very different types of hybrid lilies, drived from very different genetic backgrounds and their characteristics will reflect that.

Asiatics are hardier (often listed to Z3), have the earliest bloom season, the widest color range and typically no fragrance. They also perennialize or spread very easily.

Oriental hybrids are usually rated to no lower than Z5, have a late summer bloom period, a limited color range and typically, strong fragrance. If given the right growing conditions, they can perennialize as well but not as vigorously as the Asiatics.

Both require really good drainage and as much sun as possible although the Orientals will also tolerate a fair amont of shade. If you are looking for the best effects of both, hunt up some OA's or Oriental-Asiatic hybrids.

The attached lnk will explain the different divisions in more detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: lily types

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They are very different types of hybrid lilies, drived from very different genetic backgrounds and their characteristics will reflect that.

Asiatics are hardier (often listed to Z3), have the earliest bloom season, the widest color range and typically no fragrance. They also perennialize or spread very easily.

Oriental hybrids are usually rated to no lower than Z5, have a late summer bloom period, a limited color range and typically, strong fragrance. If given the right growing conditions, they can perennialize as well but not as vigorously as the Asiatics.

Both require really good drainage and as much sun as possible although the Orientals will also tolerate a fair amont of shade. If you are looking for the best effects of both, hunt up some OA's or Oriental-Asiatic hybrids.

The attached lnk will explain the different divisions in more detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: lily types

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Red Impression Tulips
Are Red Impression tulips considered early Tulips ?...
dan1018
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Treasure Brown/ Caramel Rug
Overstock.com
New Oriental Geometric Red/Ivory Kazak 5'x7' Hand Knotted Persian Wool Rug H3421
BH Sun Inc
20"Sq. Ribbon Pillow
$175.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Majestic Black/ Red Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Nourison Jaipur JA50 Oriental Rug - Olive Multicolor - 30041
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Eastwood L-Sectional (4 piece) - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Serena & Lily Brahms Mount Herringbone Throw
Serena & Lily
Jaipur Mythos Selene Traditional Oriental Pattern Wool Tufted Rug - ROV005019-00
$152.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™