Growing orange jasmine seeds

cliviajohn(z7NY)October 3, 2007

Hello,

I just ordered orange jasmine seeds. I want to make it a bonsai. Does anyone have any tips for me with this plant? What is the best method to keeping the plant small? I'm brand new to bonsai so my experiences is limited. Any information would be appreciated!!!

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Hi, growing from seed is interesting, and a good learning experience. However, trying to grow bonsai from seed without already-grown trees to work on while you wait will be very frustrating by itself, because you won't have anything worth working on for 3-5 years. Most bonsai are trained from larger plants being cut back, and only seed grown as a sideline. By the time your tree has become a plant (skinny trunk and all) with any woodiness to it, you may have forgotten all about bonsai! 'Keeping' it small is not the way to keep it small :-), but cutting it back after it's been grown out in the ground or a large container, and THEN keeping it small by pruning and training is. Why not start reading up on bonsai before spending... www.bonsai4me.com, www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html, and check around for local clubs, the best way to learn because you can see how things are actually done, ask all your questions of people who know the local climate and can direct to good places to find supplies.

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™