Container soil question

purplethumb28February 24, 2013

Hello all I`m fairly new to gardening. I live in zone7. I planted some tomatoes and peppers last year in containers. My question is how can I prepare my potting soil for this growing season and when should I do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Go to walmart, buy some 2 cuft bags of the new green bagged hyponex soil (some good soil I found so far). Or get what ever bagged potting mix you like. Get it home, open bag, and plant.

Potting mix has a larger buffer for ph and nutrients than soilless media. Soilless media can produce more yield, but it has its disadvantages. Both have some advantages and some disadvantges. To say there are NO disadvantages to one in particular would be speaking in absolutes.

;)

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:58

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:00PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

On the other hand, you could take some time to read about the 5-1-1 mix many on this forum prefer over store bought mixes that are mostly peat and often contain "moisture control" pellets, both of which cause your mix to get soggy and compacted, leading to poor growth and disappointment. If Mastergardener1's suggestion worked so well, there wouldn't be hundreds of us coming here asking for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils -- Water movement and retention

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:31PM
purplethumb28

Thanks for the response. I will check into both and see which is more on the budget friendly side.

This post was edited by purplethumb28 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 23:15

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Raybo's 3-2-1 from scratch?
Hey guys this year will be my first time making and...
wakullagirl23
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™