Spring/early summer bloomers

miclino(5)May 17, 2010

I have a small space in the front bed that I want to plant some bulbs to bloom late spring into early summer. Cannot be aggressive in spreading and must be atleast 1.5 feet tall. Already plan on tulips in this bed, would Iris go well with this? Do they spread a lot? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunandshadow

Iris multiply, but it's pretty slow, and they won't really climb out of the bed. But if you're thinking tall bearded iris, hopefully the bed is against a wall; the wind tends to knock them over unless they have some sort of support or shelter. If it's not against a wall, get a smaller type of iris. Another possibility is day lilies, they start blooming around the same time as iris (both are just starting now, mid-may, in zone 6).

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:17PM
miclino(5)

Hmm, its not against a wall. Don't know if I have the space for daylilies

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:42PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

What about some ornamental alliums such as 'Purple Sensation'(blooming now) or 'Globemaster' (larger and later-blooming)? They don't take up much room and will give you the height you want. Another bulb that is blooming now for me in part shade is camassia.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 7:46AM
ashes_of_the_fire(6B)

I have loads of TB iris and none of them have ever fallen over and they most definitely are not against a wall or even near the house. i do believe that they are your best bet but they are not a plant that you can forget. they have to be manitained to keep putting on a good show. the dwarf varieties tend to bloom a bit earlier than the TB's but there's a wide range of colours. however if you're lookinf for something about a foot-and-a-half, eiter stay with standard dwarf bearded (SDB) of border bearded (BB).

also, peonies might be a viable option but hey can get taller as they age and can be up to 3ft across, but this would take a number of years and they require far less maintenance than irises, as they never really have to be divided to keep up flower power and have few pests (irises have borers and root rot)

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 11:25AM
marys_garden_patch

Why don't you try some of the smaller daylilies such as Aztec Gold (16") or the reliable Stella D'Oro (12")?

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 9:16AM
miclino(5)

What if I planted tulips with Papaver orientalis? The space is about 2 by 5 feet. I could trim down the papaver foliage after blooming correct? How big/wide do these get?

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™