louisiana iris bulbs

gardensnail22May 3, 2009

I have some seed pods forming on my Louisiana iris. These are hybrids and they are in a ditch with some specise La iris and some blue flag iris . What do I do with the seed pod ??? I have tried before to start seed with no luck. What is the trick??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

Sometimes the seed coats are kind of hard and woody. If you nick them with a file or hand pruners, it allows the seed to take up water faster and to germinate more rapidly. Also, LA iris are semi-aquatic, so seeds can never be allowed to dry out after planting; soaking them overnight before sowing won't hurt, either. Hope that helps!

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 3:27AM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Just wanted to chime in and say that that's a very pretty picture. Love the plummy color against the bluish leaves.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 6:27PM
gardensnail22

Thank you for the help. Jane

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 10:07PM
patrick_zydecoirises_com

Harvest your seed pod when it begins to turn a bit yellow. In my area (New Orleans), I would immediately open the pod and plant the individuals seeds in a pot (of garden soil or a potting mixture). I would cover the seeds with 3/4 inches of the soil, and put them in a cool place and keep watered. They would begin to germinate when we begin to get cool nights (October or November). In your area, you might want to keep them protected until spring and then set them out. I don't really know when to expect germination in your area. The seeds will remain viable for a couple of years provided that they are not hollowed out by insects. It's important for this reason to keep them covered with soil. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™