In terms of purchasing bulbs...

kimcocoMay 10, 2011

Two questions for the experts -

I've been admiring the creamy white daffodils I see planted in drifts around town. I have the full yellow, I think Tete-a-tete variety. The daffs I'm seeing around here are similar to Tete a Tete in size and form, the only exception being that the petals are creamy white, and the "cone" (I don't know the technical term) is yellow, like Tete-a-tete. If I can't find out what these are, I'd like to plant them if they naturalize. Any ideas what daffodil this is that I'm admiring? I'll try to take a pic next time I'm out and about.

In terms of purchasing these daffodils specifically, does it make that much of a difference purchasing from an online vendor (I've purchased from Colorblends in the past for tulips) vs. a local box store? The Tete-A-Tete are pretty common, and I have no problem purchasing in bulk, and what I've planted has performed well. Aside from the cost factor, I don't see much of a difference. Then again, it's not like I'm on the hunt for a rare variety. Feedback anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Unless your local gardeners are seriously snooty - you could just ask if they would let you have some bulbs. You can offer to pay, of course. Or proffer a trade for something you have plenty of that's delectable.

'Drifts' definitely implies naturalisation and multiplication. It's not as if you're asking for a rare and endangered...lol.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 2:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have found big box bulbs to be mislabeled about half the time. If you want a particular color/variety don't count on it from any discount retailer.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Cal Lighting BO-2096TB Mission Tiffany Table Lamp - BO-2096TB
$196.90 | Hayneedle
Khaki Giclee Parker Light Blaster Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Deco Revival Giclee Nickel 10 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Portables Polished Nickel One-Light Table Lamp
$318.00 | Bellacor
See the Light Print
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Loft Satin Nickel Two-Light 16-Inch Flushmount Ceiling Light
$96.00 | Bellacor
Mckenzie 22-Inch Sky Blue Burst Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$47.95 | Bellacor
Sea Gull Lighting Windgate 35940BLE-782 5-Light Chandelier - 20.25 diam. in. - H
$200.90 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™