What do you all use to screen Al's potting mixes?

ssmdgardener(7)February 17, 2012

I use window screen material to screen out the small pieces of Turface, pine bark, and granite dust.

I also have 1/4 inch hardware cloth to screen out the large pieces of bark.

Is that all the screening I need to do?

What do you all use to screen your mixes? What other sizes do I need? The hardware store only had 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

I'll be using the bark dust as a peat substitute in some of my containers this summer. The Turface fines are getting sprinkled in the wintersown jugs. The large pieces of bark are going in the garden as mulch. But what do I do with the granite dust and tiny pieces of Perlite?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Window screen for Turface.

I also use a 1/4 inch plastic grid (a nursery flat for transporting plants) for the bark.

My latest tools are large pond-baskets that have 1/8 and 1/16 perforations around the outside
and bottom. I shake and rinse ingredients like bark and Perlite to remove dust and fines.

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:10PM
ssmdgardener(7)

Thanks, Josh, great idea using pond baskets!

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:15PM
calistoga_al

I have a basic screen frame with permanently attached 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Other screens from window screens up, slip inside the frame on top of the 1/2 inch. Al

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:20AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I have 2 'sets' of screens in sizes 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8, and aluminum insect screen.

Al

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 10:39AM
jodik_gw

I like Josh's pond basket idea, too, and when I get to the larger garden center this spring, I plan on buying a few.

In the meantime, I use whatever is handy and workable to sieve the ingredients. For example, I use a piece of hardware cloth with holes about the size of Al's screen with the larger looking holes to sift bark for my outdoor 511 mix, and I have some other oddities from kitchen and crafting that have decent holes for getting rid of dust and tiny particles, or whatever else I need.

I would love to get my hands on a set of those really nice bonsai screens, but they're expensive. But I think the pond baskets will work great!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™