15 percent leaching and the dish

marc5(6aOH)February 10, 2013

I am assembling my ingredients for 5:1:1 and Gritty mixes, looking forward to my first plantings in them. My avocado pit should be almost ready. Josh, I like the look of your "Gritty 5:1:1"--thanks.

How do you handle the water that collects in the dish holding the container? I know from reading here that when watering, I should aim for 15% leaching. My starts will be inside for now (still winter here in Ohio). I don't want the water to leak out onto the floor, so how do you pros handle the logistics of watering indoors? And you probably don't want water sitting in the dish. Do you all water in a sink, then transfer to the dish on the floor?

Thanks--great forum!

Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abnorm(Orlando)

Wet-Dry shop vac.....

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:09PM
calistoga_al

There is no problem having a dish catch the leached water as long as the container is raised within the dish so no water remains touching the bottom of the container. Al

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:34AM
jodik_gw

Quite right, Al... and it also makes for a little more humidity around the plants.

Most of us either empty the saucers after the plants drain, or we take our plants to the sink for the process of copious watering and draining.

I keep a large bucket handy for dumping saucers with extra water, though my kitchen sink is only steps away.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™