Straw Bales vs SIP Raised beds
I have a large, 20' x 20' tiled second story patio in USDA Zone 7. I live in the city and may move next winter. Exploring my options for a container garden that is transportable, disposable, or somewhere in between. I have access to a fair amount of scrap wood so I can pretty easily construct ugly & functional raised beds.
SO, the candidates are:
1) Straw bales garden-
- Significantly cheaper ($7/bale x 2-3 versus starting from scratch buying vermiculite, coco coir/peat moss, and compost, priced it out to be about $60 per bed at NYC prices)
- Disposable and compostable. I can compost the remnants to my local community garden at the end of the season.
- Require a lot of watering? Can anyone speak to this?
2) Raised beds-
- If I go this route, I'd probably rig up a sub-irrigation system somehow so that it self waters (would this be possible with the straw bales?)
- Growing medium could be used season after season
- I'd have to carry that growing medium with me when I move
- Much more expensive
Has anyone tried both of these??